Thursday, March 12, 2009

Primate News Galore

OK, I have been sooooo fascinated by the influx of monkey, chimpanzee, and gorilla news articles. They keep adding to the ways that primates are just not that different from us.

Background: A while back I heard about chimpanzees and gorillas that had been taught sign language. Now that I have the luxury of Netflix, I watched a documentary called "Koko: the Talking Gorilla" about a couple of small gorillas that researchers taught some sign language to. This really caught my attention.


More about Koko: http://www.koko.org/index.php




Recently, I have seen articles in BBC News on a regular basis about how chimpanzees use tools, how orangutans can trade using tokens, and about how mother monkeys give into their infants' temper-tantrums. Each time I get more blown away by the intelligence, social structure, and communication they are capable of. Really, really neat-o. So, here's a list of articles for you:



These orangutans learned how to TRADE favors using tokens:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7799313.stm

These chimpanzees use TOOLS to hunt!!:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6387611.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7922120.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7946614.stm

This orangutan can whistle and mimic the zoo-keepers:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/also_in_the_news/7912092.stm

Chimpanzees in a calm state can plan ahead for period of an "excited" state:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7928996.stm

These Macaques teach their young how to FLOSS THEIR TEETH!!:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7940052.stm

Male chimpanzees provide the females with meat (in order to, y'know):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7988169.stm

Other Macaques give in to their babies' temper tantrums:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7934852.stm


...and it makes me sad that many of these species are under threat because of habitat loss and illegal hunting. I wish these animals would get some respect!


.

No comments:

Blog Archive