Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What if I

The song “What if I” was the first one that I shared with people who later said that they really enjoyed it and that it spoke to them. So I thought it fitting that it should be the subject of my very first blog entry!

I’ll probably never forget the night that I wrote “What if I” even if I decided I ought to try. (Though I don’t want to try, because I cling on to my memories like a person clings on to their coat in a cold wind.) I actually wrote the beginnings of four songs that night, including “Nowhere.” Let me paint the picture: (1) it was winter, and I don’t always do so good in the winter-time. The lack of sunlight and deep cold can bum me out for days on end. (2) It was a Friday night and all of my roommates and friends were out having fun, but I was alone in my apartment. I guess I don’t remember why I ended up alone that night, but it seemed to happen with some regularity. (3) So, I felt cold
and alone. (4) And it was winter and I felt cold and alone.

Next, I don’t know if any of you have ever felt this feeling, but sometimes I just want to run away. I don’t want to be who I am, where I am, or what I am. I want to ditch myself, run away and go be someone else. Sometimes the feeling is very compelling, though I have yet to actually do this. (My rational side automatically kicks in…) So there I was, cold, alone, and wanting to run away really badly. And in this state, "What if I" was born.


1 comment:

Luci said...

I liked reading this! (Remember how I also often felt like running away?)

Plus, it's a great song, and I like knowing where it came from.

Blog Archive